Travelling can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. If you’re looking for ways to save money on your next vacation, consider using an air miles credit card.
With the right card, you can earn free flights, hotel stays, and even rental cars.
To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of the seven best air miles credit cards. Whether you’re a globetrotter or an armchair traveller, one of these cards will fit your needs.
So what are you waiting for?
Your next vacation is just a few clicks (and swipes) away.
1. Citi PremierMiles Card
Citi PremierMiles is the best air miles credit card if you need miles that never expire. That’s probably why PremierMiles says it can “lead the way for all things travel.”
Apart from that tempting no-expiry offer, the card gets up a bonus of up to 25,000 miles when applying. Of course, you’ll have to apply and spend with the PremierMiles card.
Here’s what these purchases will get you:
Every $1 brings you:
- 2 miles for abroad purchases
- 2 miles for local expenses
If you keep up the good work, this air miles credit card offers a renewal bonus of 10,000 miles upon your card’s anniversary.
The airport lounge access is another bonus.
You can get two complimentary visits per year to any airport lounges worldwide. However, you have to register online for membership.
Another advantage is the colossal insurance amount.
Charging your travel tickets to the Citi PremierMiles credit card covers you up to $1 million. That means you’ll be safe wherever the road takes you/
2. DBS Altitude Card
The DBS Altitude Card is the best air miles credit card if you want to maximise your gains. Each $1 you spend can bring you up to ten miles. As a result, the DBS Altitude Card is a practical choice if you travel often or plan a more extended trip.
Here’s what $1 purchases bring you:
- 3 miles on online flights and hotels transactions (maximum $5,000 per month)
- 2 miles on abroad purchases
- 2 miles on local purchases
- 10 miles when booking your travels with Kaligo, DBS’s exclusive partner
- 10 miles on hotel transactions
You can even save up and accumulate these miles for a trip around the world.
Yes, this air miles credit card offers miles that never expire.
But those aren’t the only advantages:
- $300 cashback
- Up to 60% off and a $50 Lazada Voucher with TravellerShield Plus
- 10,000 Bonus Miles
- An additional mile on all your spend
- Up to 0.90% p.a. or more with the DBS Multiplier Account
- Complimentary Digital Priority Pass™ Membership
You can easily apply through your bank’s mobile app in just a few simple steps to reap these benefits.
However, you’ll have to be at least 21 years old to apply, with a minimum income of $30,000/year (Singaporeans and PRs) and $45,000/year (foreign residents). The annual fee is $192.60 for the principal card, but charging at least $25,000/year on this card waives your fee.
On the downside, taking the fee waiver means you won’t benefit from the bonus miles.
3. OCBC 90°N Card
OCBC 90°N Card is the best air miles credit card if you need increased flexibility. As such, you will get access to miles, cash rebates and other privileges.
And just like the two other air miles cards before – the 90°N Card doesn’t have any expiry date either.
If you’re tempted, you can get instant approval. All you have to do is apply with MyInfo to get it. However, you’ll have to be a Singaporean, PR, or have an E-Pass/S-Pass. The minimum required age is 21 years old.
That said, let’s see what rewards your expenses get you:
- 1 miles/$1 for foreign currency spend
- 2 miles/$1 for local spend
There’s a caveat: to get these Travel$ air miles, you must spend at least $5 for each transaction. Although that’s a disadvantage compared to the other cards above, the 90°N Card comes with a unique selling point:
Cash rebates at up to 2.1% for the Travel$ miles you earn.
There’s no minimum required purchase and no maximum caps on this offer. Besides, you can use the rebates whenever you want to offset your bills.
4. Amex KrisFlyer Card
The Amex KrisFlyer Card offers a good deal if you plan a trip sometime in the next two months. All you have to do is get this air miles credit card and spend $1,000 during the next 60 days. That will get you 5,000 KrisFlyer miles and a luxury one-night stay at Hilton Singapore Orchard.
This accommodation alone is worth $418.
That means Amex KrisFlyer will bring you an excellent bang for your buck. The annual fee is just $176.55, but American Express waives it for the first year.
Other rewards for each $1 you spend are:
- KrisFlyer miles for all eligible purchases
- KrisFlyer miles if you use this card for abroad purchases in foreign currency. However, this promotion only applies during June and December
- 1 KrisFlyer miles for eligible Grab Singapore transactions. However, the maximum amount that benefits from this reward is $200/month
5. UOB KrisFlyer Card
UOB KrisFlyer Card is an excellent choice to turn your everyday expenses into more travel miles. This air miles credit card hooks you with a unique offer:
3,000 KrisFlyer miles for all applicants and $250 Grab vouchers
Each $1 you spend will bring you the following rewards:
- 3 miles if you’re using the KrisFlyer Card for dining, food delivery, online shopping and travel (with $500/year at KrisShop and Singapore Airlines Group)
- 3 miles for purchases with Singapore Airlines, Scoot and KrisShop
- 2 miles for all other purchases
Besides, you can earn up to six extra miles for each $1 you spend when opening a KrisFlyer account at UOB. Other privileges include:
- $5 GrabFood vouchers
- S$20 KrisShop rebate
- 5 miles/$1 at KrisShop
- 10,000 KrisFlyer miles renewal bonus
- No conversion fee
- $15 off ChangiWiFi and Grab rides
- Exclusive benefits from Scoot:
- Priority check-in and boarding
- Extra baggage
- Standard seat selection
- Booking flexibility waiver
6. Maybank Horizon Card
This air miles credit card sports some excellent rewards for local expenses:
3.2 air miles (8X TREATS Points) for $1 spent at:
- Singapore restaurants
- Singapore petrol stations
- Public transport (including Grab and taxis)
- Hotel bookings at Agoda
2 air miles (5X TREATS Points) for each $1 spent for:
- Air tickets, regardless of the airline
- Travel and cruise packages
- Foreign currency transactions, either online or abroad
Besides, this air miles credit card has no fees for the first three years. Afterwards, you’ll be expected to pay $180/year for the principal card $0, while the supplementary card stays free.
7. UOB PRVI Miles Card
UOB PRVI boasts some good earnings for each $1 you spend, compared to the other air miles credit cards in this review:
- 4 miles for overseas purchases
- 4 miles for local purchases
- 6 miles for Agoda, Expedia, and UOB Travel
Of course, other cards may offer higher rewards for specific categories (e.g., dining), but this air miles credit card rules general spending.
You should also consider UOB PRVI if you have a considerable expense coming up, like a wedding or home renovation.
Charge $50,000 on this air miles credit card, and you get 20,000 miles. Thus, if you’re using this money for a wedding, UOB PRVI brings you a free honeymoon trip.
There you have it – seven of the best air miles credit cards for your needs. Choose carefully, considering your planned expenses, budget, and preferences.
And remember, if you need extra financial help during difficult times, it’s best not to rely on a credit card.
Direct Financial is always here to support you with low-interest rates, flexible terms, and customised packages.
Get your quote here!